8th Annual Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival 2020
24 – 28 August 2020, 11:00 and 14:00 daily
Edinburgh Traditional Building Forum is proud to be delivering the 8th Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival. The event is normally a part of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, but in light of recent circumstances in relation to COVID-19, we are bringing the festival online for all to enjoy. As the event was completely sold out last year, we are excited by the opportunity to open our ‘doors’ to many more to attend in this virtual capacity! Come join us as we “Celebrate Edinburgh’s Traditional Buildings”.
The Forum would like to thank all of the organisers and presenters who have kindly donated their time and expertise to highlight the importance of maintaining Edinburgh’s built environment. The Forum would also like to extend special thanks to Tyler C. Lott, Scotland Officer for the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings for leading on the organisation of this year’s event and serving as host. Special thanks also are extended to Gillian Murray of AECOM for assisting in the organisation.
The Forum would also like to thank Kevin Stewart MSP, Minister for Local Government, Housing, and Planning for once again opening the Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival.
Please follow the relevant links to book places for the individual shows. We hope that you enjoy this year’s lineup and look forward to having you at this year’s online Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival.
The Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival is brought to you in partnership by members of the Edinburgh Traditional Building Forum, a division of the Scottish Traditional Building Forum.
24 August 2020 – 11:00
- Festival Opening Remarks by Kevin Stewart, Minister for Local Government, Housing, and Planning
- Granville Place, Stockbridge – Una Richards of Scottish Historic Building Trust
24 August 2020 – 14:00
- Energy Efficiency Improvements to Traditional Buildings – Jessica Hunniset, SPAB Scotland Guardian, SPAB Lethaby Scholar, and District Surveyor for Properties in Care in the West Central Region of Scotland for Historic Environment Scotland
25 August 2020 – 11:00
- The Building Stones of Edinburgh – Martin Gillespie, Team Lead of Building Stones for the British Geological Survey
25 August 2020 – 14:00
- Lime Mortar – Scottish Lime Centre Trust
26 August 2020 – 11:00
- Traditional Stonemasonry – Andy Bradley, SPAB Fellow and stonemason joined by Architect SPAB Lethaby Scholar Martin Haddlington
26 August 2020 – 14:00
- Newhailes Estate, Musselburgh – Emma Rose Berry, LDN Architects
27 August 2020 – 11:00
- Roof Leadwork – Steve McLennan of National Federation of Roofing Contractors
27 August 2020 – 14:00
- Roof Slating and Tiling – Graeme Millar of National Federation of Roofing Contractors
28 August 2020 – 11:00
- Timber and Sash & Case Windows – Oliver Beatson, SPAB Fellow and Joiner for Historic Environment Scotland and James Innerdale, SPAB Lethaby Scholar and architect
28 August 2020 – 14:00
- Property Repair Seminar – Jo Parry-Geddes, Jackie Timmons, James Innerdale, and more!
Attendance is free for all, but booking is required.
About SPAB Scotland
Members of the SPAB living and working in Scotland decided to form their own semi-autonomous group in 1995. Scotland has its own building traditions, architectural language, and property laws, all of which are best dealt with locally. All members of the SPAB residing in Scotland are automatically members of SPAB Scotland.